Monday, May 25, 2009

Back in Style....

Cheryl insisted that I blog about my trip to the beach this weekend. I havent blogged in quite some time and I felt that this was a good way to make my return!!

Carolina and I joined Will, Cyndal, Nick and Tonya at the beach this weekend. Will had a baseball tournament to play in and invited us down to watch. THANK GOD Carolina had two days off in a row and I was off also!!!




DAY ONE
We packed up and headed down when I got off work (early) on Saturday. We arrived at about 8pm in Garden City and dead ahead was our hotel, the ever famous Kingfisher Inn. In all the years of going to Garden City, I had never stayed there, so I was curious. Will had not finished his ball game from the afternoon so Carolina and I decided to park the car and just walk around a bit. We walked out on the boardwalk running parallel to the road into Garden City and took in the sights of the waterway for a bit. We then decided to head up to the pier and have a drink. We took in the sights, the thick, salty air and the sound of the waves crashing against the shore thinking the whole time "this is why we work, to enjoy moments like this." A band was playing at the bar on the end so we had a drink and listened to them play thier versions of Southern Rock and Country hits. Not too bad. About the time I was having flashbacks of Bobby while watching a teenager catch a shark at the end of the pier, Will called to say the game was over and they were on thier way. So Carolina and I started back down the pier and headed to the hotel. We met up with the Lanes and went in to get settled and eat a nice spaghetti dinner prepared by Cyndal. That night we just hung out in the condo and played cards, drank a little beer, told a few stories and jokes and had a good time. We topped the evening off with a trip to World Famous Sam's Corner.

DAY TWO
Sunday was a TERRIFIC day all the way around. We all got up between 8 (me) and 9 (everyone else) and headed to Garden City Pancake House for breakfast. The food was ok at best (worst Eggs Benedict ive ever had, but Carolinas Pancakes were good and Tonyas Bacon, Egg and cheese Croissant was HUGE and she said was good.) But, all in all, it was good to sit at a table with friends and talk and eat. Will left straight from there for his 1st ball game of the day and the rest of us went back to the condo to get ready to go out on the beach. On the way Carolina and I realized we forgot our chairs and beach towels!!!! No worries, Eagles is directly across from the Inn!! Two chairs with the South Carolina state logo (palmetto and crescent moon) and two cheap-o towels later, we were good to go. We arrived on the beach to the sun coming out (for the remainder of the day) and the temperature rising. The sand felt like pure joy underneath my feet. All thoughts of work and stress left my body as I sat in my chair and soaked in the sun. Carolina and I HAD to go see how the water felt, and decided it just had to be swam in. I then threw football on the beach with Nick and a friend of his that was down there also. Then at about 2 Nick and I headed in and got ready to head to Wills ball game. He was pitching game 2 of the double-header, so it was a must see. He pitched well despite taking the loss. His defense allowed 5 unearned runs, while he only gave up 2 earned through a complete game 7 innings. He struck out 7 and had great control of his curveball at one point throwing it 4 consecutive times to get a K. One of his (earned) runs given up would have been a popout on any other field in the world. The field played on was a replica of The Polo Grounds in NY. The dimensions down the right field line were 256 and wouldnt you know a guy hit one down the right field line, 257! After the game we went back to the condo where the girls had already prepared dinner! Nice to come home to warm food on the table (thanks girls!) After dinner I sat on the balcony and snapped pics of a couple who were surfing together (i dream of learning to surf.) Then Nick and Tonya went out with some friends that were there to Broadway at the Beach, while the "Old Folks" stayed in. Will and I spent all night on the balcony, drinking beers and talking about baseball, work, old stories....etc....The girls sat on the couch and watched Switch with Will Smith. We again ended the night with a trip to Sam's Corner.





DAY THREE
Sadly, it was time to come home. I got up at about 7 and headed out on the balcony to take it in one last time. Will was next to rise and then Carolina. We packed up and headed out, taking will to the ballfield for his last day of games on the way. The others were still asleep when we left.

It was a great trip!!! Rejuvinating the soul and enforcing my belief that while my the rest of my body is inland, my heart is on the shore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohh Steve!! I'm SSSOOOOO JEALOUS! I actually ached looking at the pic of the pier!! I'm glad you had a great weekend! Love you!! and thank you SO VERY MUCH for finally blogging again!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm SO ready to hit the beach myself. So fun to hear about Garden City - we'll have to go there again someday. Glad you had a great time!