Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First things first.....






It snowed last night. Now, Im not totally opposed to snow, however, if it is to snow here, I want it to be the kind that you can do somthing with. I want it to be the kind that cripples the city, which would only be like 3 inches. A dusting is just enough to piss you off. Anyway.....
So I have been a busy boy lately. Carolina went ahead and gave me my birthday present early this year, since she had it budgeted into this paycheck. I got a 36 gallon bow-front glass aqueon aquarium kit on Wednesday. It had a good deal of the things I needed. It had the tank, the water filtration system, the lid/light, and the heater. Now, my goal is eventually to get into the saltwater hobby. But to see if I even like the hobby or not, I decided to go freshwater first. Sorry Cheryl.... Well, so far I LOVE IT!!! I spent the first 3 days just setting the aquarium up, getting the water right, reading and studying what I need to do and tips, etc... I even went to an aquarium store in Gastonia (Wet Pets) and spoke with the owner of the store. He asked what all I had, and gave me some pointers. Turns out that since I used aragonite for the "bedding" that is would raise th ph levels to the point that I could only have one type of freshwater fish, African Cichlids. I was a little bummed until he showed me what he had, and they are some pretty fish!!! They are tropical afterall, so they come in many different varieties and colors. Once I got the water right, Sunday afternoon I bought the fish. I bought 6 to start, two yellow ones (Johannis) two blue ones (Socofolis) and two white and black striped with yellow accents (forget the names). Carolina loves them, I love them, and I cant wait to add more. With the size of tank I have I can have around 12 or so in there. African Cichlids love to be with other fish....Im looking forward to it!!!





As for other news today, lets wish Barak Obama the best of luck, send him our prayers, and hope that he can turn this economy around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

amstaYou poor thing...you got hosed. Looks like Rock Hill and Raliegh both got more snow than you did :(!
The tank looks very nice ~ i hope you guys enjoy it. It took me a minute to place it ~ that corner looks strange and unrecognizable without Maude's coat rack! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice fish tank and new suv. I pray that you both get many years of use out of it. Steve, you are truly blessed and I pray that you take good care of her, and she you.