Friday, December 19, 2008

a meaning of Christmas.....

So, I am going to admit that Cheryl was first to hit on this topic, however I feel it necessary for me to give a different viewpoint.

Christmas is obviously a special time for me, as you have seen from my blog. This year is feeling a little down, a little dreary and not-so-special. I have to work on Christmas day, for the first time in my life. Ever since I found this out, I have been down in the dumps.

Tonight, I went and finished the little bit of shopping I had to do. When I came home, I decided I would not let this work thing "get me down." So, I popped Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas in the dvd player, wrapped the presents and soaked in the crinkly, ribbony, awfully wrapped splendor of the moment. Right now as I write this, White Christmas is on the tv. Life is, afterall, good.

After the comedy of wrapping I performed, I decided to check Cheryl's blog. I was choked up from the moment I read about the hard candy that Maude used to have every Christmas. Thinking about Grandma sitting on the couch and handing us ornaments to put on her tree. Thank you Cheryl for reminding me what Christmas is about. The memories of Maude and Poppy, Grandma and (wish I remembered him more) Grandpa. Christmas Eves with Dads family, Christmas days with Moms. After the divorce, as wierd as it may sound, I think fondly of the trips between North Carolina and Ohio. While it wasn't conventional, it was Christmas.

Like Cheryl said, our parents always did an awesome job of making our Christmas special. While they were together, since they have been apart, and blessed us with more parents, Christmas has never had a dark cloud. This could really translate into a "Thank you for all you have done" to our parents, but that is another blog. For now I just want to thank them for making the "season bright." I love you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen brother...I thought of another one too. Remember going to Grandma and Grandpa's house to make cookies and waiting for the horse drawn Santa Sleigh to come and give us candy? I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

OK I have no tears left, thanks to you two. I love you all more than mere words and look forward to memories to come...........

Anonymous said...

Steve, I understand you feeling of having to work on Christmas. Yes, it stinks and you have the right attitude not to let that get you down. I do ask that you stop and think of all of the blessings you have now and have had in the past. You have been blessed with a wonderful family and have great memories of past Christmas. Did you ever stop to think that the Lord has a reason for you working on Christmas? You may be the very person He uses to touch someone else only the way you can for Him.

You also have to realize that Carolina may be working a lot of holidays when she passes her boards. Christmas should be everyday. OK, I don't live like that either. But, if you only have a few hours with family, make it the best time of the day and enjoy it.

You are in our prayers and we love you.

Jon

Anonymous said...

Hey, dude. I was watching the video of Christmas Eve at Mom's from - 1987, maybe? The one where Bob's playing the uke and you're falling down the stairs in slow motion - SO many hilarious memories!

Hope you made it merry! Say hello to Carolina for me, and I hope to run into you again soon.