Monday, October 20, 2008

Septic Tank Fiasco



So, as I mentioned in my previous blog, we have been having problems with the septic tank. Well, Carolina had finally had enough of walking into the back yard after taking a shower and smelling poo. Yesterday I called around and got a price estimate for a pumping service. Everyone seemed to be in the ballpark of 200 (given 1,000 gallon tank and how far you have dig down.) So Stanley Septic and Environmental came out today to pump 'er out and fix our stink. As they uncovered the first lid, we (I hung out with them and watched the whole process, it was like watching a live episode of Dirty Jobs in your own backyard!) discovered a broken lid on the tank. This broken lid wasn't the problem though, as Jeremy the Septic guy said, "this is one of the fullest tanks I've seen." So he slowly pumped it out as I watched him and Filberto, his co-worker, push and suck and stir at least 15 years of waste. Disgusting!!!! But fascinating!!! So as we began discussing the broken lid situation, he asked if I would be willing to pick it up and put it on myself, because doing so would save about 100 dollars. The pumping cost 195, the new lid cost 125 and to deliver and put it on would have cost 100 extra. Naaaah, I can do that. So this afternoon I called Dad, who was more than happy to help since it got him out of working the rest of the afternoon, and he came over in his Tundra. We went, picked it up, and came back to the house and dug enough around the whole so it would fit, put it down in and covered it back up. THANKS FOR THE HELP DAD!!!! So no we can take a shower and wash the clothes without worry of creating a stinky situation in the back yard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please tell me that was mud Dad was cleaning off his boots!!! I cannot believe your access was buried that deep - it's a wonder you guys were able to find it!! Glad you don't have to smell poo anymore!! Love you!